Hungarian Mushroom Soup


Hungarian Mushroom Soup

I don't remember where I found this recipe. It exists as handwritten scrawl on a scrap of paper in my recipe box. I do remember first making this heartwarming soup one Christmas Eve. I thought I would make a special meal, one I would remember. I also made a loaf of French bread to go with it. The soup turned out better than the bread. 

INGREDIENTS:                                            

12 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 cups chopped onions
4 Tbls butter
3 Tbls flour
1 cup milk (lukewarm)
2 tsp dill weed
2 tsp Hungarian sweet paprika
1 Tbls tamari
1 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
2 cup stock or water
½ cup sour cream
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley

PREPARATION:
Saute the onion in 2 tablespoon of butter.  A few minutes later, add mushrooms and stir for a few more minutes.  Then add dill, tamari, paprika, and ½ cup stock. Cover and simmer until tender.

Make a roux by melting the remaining butter and whisking in the flour.  Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes before adding the lukewarm milk.  Continue to cook, stirring, over low heat until thick.  Stir in the veggies and the remaining 1 1/12 cups stock.  Simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes.  Put salt and pepper, sour cream, and lemon juices in a bowl.  Slowly pour in some (1/2 to 1 cup) of the hot stock from the soup into the bowl, whisking continuously until the sauce is smooth and not lumpy.  Pour this mixture into the soup and stir until sauce is fully integrated.  Serve garnished with parsley.

Comments